Thursday, July 21, 2005

An actual bike ride............

That's right-I actually got in a ride that lasted longer then 20 minutes yesterday. I rode 31.785 miles in a little over 2 hours. Had a deer jump out right in front of me last night. Usually I enjoy watching deer but I was going about 35 mph down a steep twisty section of road and just about soiled myself. It was close.

Mapped out my route with the link a fellow bike blogger so kindly left in my comments section yesterday. Next time I crack open the template to this blog hereNT, I'll make sure I add your link.

I gotta say-it must be something in the water out there in Minnesota-you folks have the best blogs out of anyone-you kids talk the talk and walk the walk. Fine, fine blogging going on out there.

Thought about what to feature on Test-It-Thursday and the answer was right in front of my handlebars.........
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Specialized Armadillo tires. I freakin' love these tires. Couple of minus's though........for one thing-they are wire beaded and heavy due to the thick center section.........then again, anyone that runs a bugle horn on their touring bike can't really complain too much about weight. Secondly,they were a bee-otch to get on my rims.

Positives? I've never had a flat even though I abuse the living shit out of these tires. Example? On the way back from my ride last night, I took a shortcut through a construction site. Rocks, mud, broken up asphalt-it's all good. Last year I rode through a washed out section on our local rail trail at about 15 mph and ran over fist sized rocks with no problem. I'm a real finesse rider.........like a water buffalo in a china shop.

I listen to a few bike advocacy related podcasts at work and I wonder what it would take to get bike lanes put in around where I live. Since our city is always strapped for cash, maybe they could institute a "congestion charge" just like London does. Probably never see either idea come to fruitation but it would be cool to have more room to ride sometimes. Or at least a little bit more respect.

Our son is going to see the new Willy Wonka movie today, maybe I can con him into writing a review here on my blog tomorrow.................

Till later.

1 comment:

hereNT said...

Instead of having to open your template to add links, you might try www.blogrolling.com - you can put a link in your favorites bar to just add a site while you're surfing. You just put a little javascript where you want the list of links to show up. I used some CSS to format mine to look kind of like buttons...