Friday, July 29, 2005

Technology..............

I love gadgets. I was one of the first people in the family to buy a computer and hook up to the internet. I think that was back in 1994 right before Win 95 came out-anybody remember Windows for Workgroups 3.11? Yikes, we sure have come along way since then.

Yesterday I helped a family friend get her fairly new computer up to date and helped her set up some new programs. She had a family member fairly accomplished in computers help her set it up but they plugged one of the color coded cables into the wrong color hole so she hasn't had sound up until yesterday.

Oops.

As easy as computers have become to use-they are still intimidating to someone new to them. Most older folks think of computers as something locked away behind glass doors that only guys with pocket protectors operate. For the most part-that's not true anymore-as long as someone has a good firewall, up to date anti-virus, spyware software and pop up blockers..........(did I forget anything?)

Well maybe it isn't as easy as it sounds but if someone has a fairly intelligent geek in the family(that would be me I think)-it's not that hard to set up a computer.

If you are using a podcatcher client-this article might be of interest to you.

If you are my father and you're reading this, check this bike out.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
How can you go wrong for 380 bucks? Everyone should have a back-up bike.

Check out this lawnmower. 2,300 dollars? Holy shit, that amount of money would buy close to 2 dozen of the Wal-Mart mower I use currently.

I need one of these. How over the top is that? Damn thing probably shoots snow a 1/4 of a mile.

I think I would soil myself if this happened to me. Check out the rest of the site-really cool pics and ya'll might learn something too.

Till later..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the most part-that's not true anymore-as long as someone has a good firewall, up to date anti-virus, spyware software and pop up blockers..........(did I forget anything?)
-----------

OR a mac:-)

Man, the Electra Townie is a cool bike. The 8 speed Nexus version is especially sweet.

best,
Sal

The Donut Guy said...

Ya know, I just *knew8 someone was gonna say that:-)

Since we have 4 computersnetworked in our house-there ain't no way I am gonna spend that much money changing over. If I had to do it over again...........I woulda went with Apple.

Scout Seventeen said...

Heh!

I think the company that manufactures adult diapers just made a killing in Chicago. If a meteorite came through my roof, I'd have shit myself before I even woke up1

Just to clarify, that is considered an act of god by one's insurance policy, yes?