Wednesday, August 30, 2006

New graphics card.............

Installed a new graphics card today. More correctly, I had the guy at the computer store where I bought the card show me how to install it. I'm glad I brought my computer to the store, he saw that my AGP connecter thingamabob wasn't long enough and gave me a little extension cord for it.

The fact that I didn't screw it up is noted because I am typing this out and not looking at a blank screen. It's nothing real fancy, but it's 8 times as much memory and it has it's own processor....... it's way faster then what we had.

Now our son will be able to play W.O.W. faster then 2 frames a second.

This poor guy was arrested for DWB. I have several good friends that are African-American and they all say this happens to them.

In particular, one of them was recently involved in an auto accident in Philly and while he had witnesses that said the other driver was clearly at fault-he had to go to court to prove it wasn't his fault. Thankfully he had his camera with him and documented the crash scene. My folks didn't raise me to pick my friends on the basis of their skin color..........that kind of shit drives me nuts.

Some wise-ass entomologists have a wicked sense of humor. I like it, Don is as clueless as a slime beetle.

Debate? Hell they oughta have a pay-per-view UFC event with those two guys.

I'd pay to see it.

There ain't no way Bush would stand a chance debating Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I listened to the Mike Wallace interview a few weeks ago and Ahmadinejad totally controlled the flow of things.........the dude definitely has an agenda.

I tape this show and watch it from time to time. I am so glad I don't have to fly as part of my job. Some poor guy missed his flight because he was standing in the wrong place and didn't hear an announcement. It wasn't his fault, but the clerk at the ticket desk was such a smug bastard about it, I wanted to punch my TV.

Unless you get out of college and are making 70 or 80 grand right off the bat.........this is scary. I don't see how people in their 20's can survive and save money for a house. If we had to buy the house we've lived in for the past 15 years...... now..........we wouldn't be able to afford it. The prices for houses in our area blow me away.

This site probably isn't safe for work but this video of talking dogs featured on it is.

Here's something I knew 30 years ago.......homework blows. Even though homework sucks-if I could turn back the clock 30 years..........I would have gone to at least 2 years of college. Education is one thing no one can take away from you once you have it.

If I was this truck driver............I woulda had a SBE*.




*Sudden Bowel Evacuation..............First off, the dumbass was stupid enough to park in between railroad crossing gates right on the tracks. What did he think was gonna happen when the blinking lights and bells started going off? An ice cream truck was gonna show up?

Today's science break. I guess I could skip out on paying off the mortgage.........

Everyone that works with other people should read this. Personally, I enjoy what I do quite a bit, but they are quite a few folks that don't. I would imagine there are lots of reasons for this, but working with unhappy people can't be a whole lot of fun. I work by myself most of the time, so if I'm in a bad mood-the only person I have to blame is me.

Looks pretty sanitary to me. I've heard of fake Rolexes and counterfeit handbags.....but never fake Pepsi. I bet it tastes no worse then real Pepsi or people wouldn't be buying it.

Once I get my business up and running and I begin to help clients set up new computers............the AOL software included on almost all new computers will be one of the first applications I remove. Hopefully if any of my future clients use dial-up, I can talk them into using something like Earthlink....

If Jimmy Carter knew what he knows now back when he was President-he would have been much more effective. The dude is pretty damn smart. I don't agree with everything he says but if anyone else would have been president back then......66 hostages probably wouldn't be alive right now. That counts for something.

Today's photo break.........Golden Gate Bridge Photo Album. Click on "view album" for the pictures, it's kinda neat to see what SF looked like back in the 30's.

My next door neighbor is a pilot for American, I wonder if he has seen this video. He'd know if it was the real deal or not-the guy has been flying for 30 years.....

So, Osama walks into this bar, see? An interesting piece on the "War on Terror". I didn't write it, but I agree with it. Sometimes I wonder if Bush oughta be in jail.

Florida: Where criminals go when they get old. Some of those folks look pretty damn scary.

Good article about kids being smart. Common sense usually doesn't come out of a book, it comes out of real life experience. My folks kept me on a fairly short string when I was growing up, but I still spent lots of time outside riding my bike, playing with friends and holding down part-time jobs. I'm proud of our kids, our 13 year old is very self-sufficient. Our daughter is doing just fine in her first couple weeks of college, she has already made tons of friends and loves campus life. I'm not surprised by this-she's a very independent woman.

This is why I don't have a roof rack to carry bikes. I would cry if I did that.

This might be old news by the time you read this, but if just one tree falls over in the hurricane, at least 500 news cameras and reporters will be there to interview the dead branches. I love it when those moron weather forecasters try to stand in 900 mph winds to show you it's really shitty outside.

I have this pet peeve about having my newspaper delivered to my door. Not to my lawn, the garden, the street, the driveway or the sidewalk in front of my house.

The front door.

I like to open the front door and pick up the paper.

Not to difficult unless you are our paperboy.

I've called about 3 or 4 times in the past couple months, I just got of the phone with the district manager and he assures me that he'll have this problem fixed up for me. Let's hope because he's the guy that will be delivering me a 2nd paper everyday that it doesn't end up at my front door.

Yeah, sure I'm a prick but when I used to deliver papers...........I always put in in between the storm door and the front door. Customer service rules. I made a boatload of money from tips when I was a paperboy.....kids nowadays.......

I bought one of the "Home Businesses for Dummies" books at my wife's suggestion.......tons and tons of great ideas and instructions. After I finish reading it (I'm already 1/2 way through it), I'll be busy for a few weeks setting up a business and marketing plan.

I read this and I think I will be buying a new laptop before Vista is released. I have no desire to be a beta tester for Microsoft.

Thanks for the comments regarding my new endeavors, I will be including some simple hardware and software installs as part of my services, I haven't yet integrated everything I want to do in my marketing and business plans. I really want to get everything down in black and white to see if the numbers are what I think they are.

I have a hunch that there are lots of frustrated folks out there that have problems that they don't know how to fix and don't know who to talk to to get them fixed. I don't see very many advertisments for this type of service..........the only national service around here is Geek Squad and their prices are outrageous. 129 bucks to clean out the inside of your computer with a can of compressed air? No thank you.

I have gotten an offer from my friend Doug to help me design a website, I will be taking him up on this for sure-I really like his work.

If I designed a web site?

I want to help folks with computers, not make them laugh when they click onto my site, I'm creative, but I know very little about designing web sites.

Stay tuned, it should be interesting!

No comments: