Saturday, September 10, 2005

On vacation..........

I'm taking my last week of vacation next week. Don't have any big plans for the week, I do plan to ride just about everyday.

This year with both our kids in high school, I will have more time in the afternoon to ride, I"ll just have to use lights in a few weeks.

As much as I like summer, fall is becoming my favorite season. I love riding in the chilly morning air with just a hint of your breath turning to condensation to keep you company.

This morning, my father and I are going to help my great aunt and uncle move from one section of the nursing home they live in to another. My aunt is in her late 80's and not in the best of health at the moment and requires more care so they have to move to a different section of the assisted living facility they live at.

I really hate nursing homes, when I was a kid, we visited my great-grandmother at one and I still remember the smell. It was a combination of urine, detergent, old people sweat and mold. That smell was bad but not as bad as watching my grandma take several years to die.

My wife is a nurse and works with folks like this day in and day out. Not sure how she does it, I would think you need a real passion to help people to work in a nursing home.

One thing's for sure-after putting up with me for the last 25 years.........she pretty much has her ticket to heaven pre-stamped.

Now, I ain't the smartest guy in the world, but as I read this news article- I'm wondering why the federal government can't pull something like this off. Which is all the more reason to donate to the Red Cross. Sure, the RC isn't perfect-but it's a whole lot better then whatever FEMA was trying to do in the past week.

Went to our kid's high school last night with our 12 year old to watch a football game. Did that ever bring back memories. If was fun watching all the 14 year olds walking around trying to act cool.........not like I ever tried like that to fit in.

Till later..........

No comments: