Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Nerd.

Our family owns........

-3 iPads

-4 iPods

-A i7 chipped laptop with 8 gigs of RAM and a 1 gig video card

-3 older PC's...one is media server, one is an old XP my wife plays Solitaire one and one runs Ubuntu.

-A netbook I am in the process of wiping and installing Ubuntu to use as a take-anywhere laptop that make me cry if it gets dropped or something.

-Our son has an Alienware water cooled PC.... a unlocked i7 ,16 gigs of RAM, 2 video cards 2 gigs each with two 24 inch monitors.

-I have a new custom built PC with a 6 core processor, 16 gigs of RAM, a 2 terabyte hard drive and I also run 24 inch monitors.....complete overkill for web browsing and blogging, but I can have 50 tabs open and it doesn't slow down at all.

-3 Kindles....one second gen, and two 3rd gen.

-A 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro.

-Assorted speakers, extra monitors, keyboards, cables, power supplies, fans, extra RAM.....just about anything and everything.

My point?

I can't get my mom's Verizon DSL to work.....and it's pissing me off. I'm not a computer genius or anything, but I can work through 99% of the problems I come up against.

Network a Windows PC, a Mac and two different printers together along with a media server? Piece of cake. Hardly anything gets me over a barrel......I tried 2 PC's and my Mac, reset the modem, did a cold restart on everything.....no bueno.

Solution?

A few years ago, I paid 150 bucks for a Sprint aircard.......all I had to do is make a phone call and rent me some bandwidth for a month....gives me a little time to mentally prepare myself for dialing in Verizon's voice activated tech support.

I dislike dealing with Verizon DSL so much, I don't take on any new clients that use it. It's only redeeming value is that it's cheap. My mom pays something like 20 bucks a month for 768k service. For checking email and browsing websites....that's all you really need.

/rant over.....

Been super busy at work this week....3 people on vacation and one person quit and we had a complete case and table reset in my dept.......I have an awesome boss, it took her 3 hours to do what it would have taken me all day to do. 

till later.

No comments: