Monday, May 09, 2005

Bikes..............

NEWSFLASH!!!!!

I'm gonna talk about bikes today!

My friend sent me a few pics of his chopper build up, he is just in the very beginning stages of moving tubes around and doesn't have anything welded up yet but he is going to share pics with me as he builds it up.

Here's a few thumbnails (click to make biggerer).......

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I'm not nearly good enough to actually cut apart a bike and reposition stuff in different places and reweld stuff like Greg is, it's gonna be cool watching him build up his own chopper.

I broke a set of handlebars yesterday on our club's social ride, snapped them wheelie dropping off of a small bridge. The bridge was only 2 feet or so high but the transition from the bridge to the landing is kinda screwy. I had the landing nailed but a split second after landing it *SNAP*, I broke the bars about an inch from the stem. That'll teach me to run a rigid front end and try shit like that. A 2.5 tire can only soak up so much.

Fortunately, I had brought an extra set of bars with me for Greg to try on his chopper, the group was nice enough to ride back to the parking lot we me and we swapped them out and finished the ride.

Here's a thumbie of the broken bars and the bars I replaced them with.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The bars I replaced the broken ones with were a good bit narrower and were extremely squirrely on the downhills and almost impossible to climb with but hey- I got to finish the ride without bleeding or suffering a handlebar-ectomy so it was a damn fine ride in my book.

Another friend of mine sold me a really nice suspension fork for the SS, Heres a pic of it installed with a temporary set of handlebars in place so I could check out the ride.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The new fork "choppers out" the bike a little bit, I think I might run with a flat bar if I can find one wide enough. I have mixed feelings about running front suspension, but I like to ride my bike like I stole it, so it's probably for the better.

Here's a thumbnail of the picture I am going to send in to the Parks photo contest.........
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
If you are from York, you will recognize the hill our son is on as the bank of the Lake Redman reservoir. I like this pic for a number of reasons. #1 is the fact that one of my kids is in it and I also like the colors and the way the colors work together. It's one of my all time favorite pics.

Till later...........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bridge with a 2 foot drop off and a screwy landing must be the new bridge for the new section of trail 4 at the lakes. I might have a flat handbar if you are coming to the Monday or Wednesday night rides.

The Donut Guy said...

Yup, that was the drop off I missed. I had the landing stuck but a split second after I landed-The bars cracked. Bummer.