Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Savin' some weight..................

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Who me?

I took the 2.4 gumball downhill tires off of my hardtail yesterday and replaced them with something more reasonable in a 2.0 size. The tires I took off weighed close 3 pounds a piece and the ones that went one were considerably lighter. That took off about 3 pounds of weight at the best possible place to take weight off of a bicycle.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Click to make hugerer.

Well, maybe the second best place to take weight off. Been riding pain free most of the spring, now I suppose it's time to push the fitness a little bit and lose a few pounds. Those huge tires make for great handling downhill but uphill.................ugh.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I'll just have to get used to riding on "normal" mountain bike tires again. I bought Specialized Enduro tires in a 2.0 size, they kinda look like road bike tires compared to what I was running.

Since I was scrounging around for inexpensive stuff at the LBS, I picked up a set of new set of handlebars and a brand new seat. Sure, the handlebars don't match the rest of the bike since they are bare aluminum and everything else is either red or anodized black..........whatever, I really don't care about that kinda stuff much anyway.

While I was at the shop, some really strange guy bought new tires and tubes for his bike. Not sure if the guy had a speech impediment or he just got done smoking some crystal meth but he was really slurring his words. I'm thinkin' he just lost his license and was in the process of getting his "liquor store" bike in running order. Whatever. Just don't get run over on the way home from the bar.

I was planning on riding my Surly over to Lancaster to watch some of the race preparations on Tuesday but our son's asthma flared up and he stayed home from school. Maybe next year, looks like I missed a good race.

I was riding some of the new singletrack our club put in over the weekend. Awesome stuff, I really dig the tight switchbacks. Some of them are so tight you have to hop the rear wheel around to make the turn. Fun stuff.

There are some pointy rocks that basically point directly at your front tire and a couple of dips shaped exactly the same circumference as a 26' wheel. .............I have a feeling somebody might end up missing a few teef :-)

3 more nights of work and it's goof-off time for a week.

Yay.

Till later.

No comments: