Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sometimes.......

Sometimes I think fixing computers is a combination part skill, part experience and part just dumb luck. I was working on a client's computer over the weekend....they couldn't get on the internet. They have an older laptop with Windows 2000 and very little hard drive space to play with.

I knew they had a live internet connection, my laptop had no problem accessing the net. Took me a little while but with a combination of enabling, disabling, installing and uninstalling some stuff...badda bing it started to work.

Fortunately they are shopping for a new computer soon, the new ones are so much easier to configure.

Our son spent Saturday evening over at my in-laws house, he took his laptop with him and he's showing his grandma how to use a computer and how to look up stuff on the internet.

I'm in the process of updating one of my father-in-laws old PC's so he can get all his old stuff off of it before he retires it. He has a PC that's running Windows 95a...totally old school. The only problem I'm having is that 95a doesn't have USB support so I can't get the USB card I put in to work yet.......I have a few tricks up my sleeve to try yet, so I haven't given up. I really don't wanna have to hook it up to the internet or use the floppy drive to transfer files...it would take too long.

You know how they say mechanics usually have the crappiest cars? I don't have the crappiest computer but I did perform some long put off maintenance yesterday. The hard drive was over 30% fragmented, and since I install and uninstall tons of apps, the registry was clogged up with all kinds of unused stuff.

It's a lot faster now:-)
_____________________________________

Any factory that makes chili sauce and pet food......mmmmm.

We have the Blockbuster DVD plan and to be honest...it beats the pants off of Netflix.

George Bush proves he's an ass once again. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm pretty sure we could figure out a way to provide health care to all children under the age of 21......besides visiting the emergency room.

till later.

No comments: