Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Are the 80's over?

I was in my twenties during the 80's.

This music brings back some memories......Yeah, the 80's....Don Johnson with his stubble and linen suits, really shitty cars and haircut bands. Oh yeah. Me? I was into AC/DC (still am) and the Beach Boys. I always thought it would have been cool if they played together but alas, they never did.

I'm Irish so I couldn't care less.

Nice. No, actually I am being facetious. If there is a hell, folks like this should go there.

This is gonna suck. I'm sure one will hit the week we take vacation down in Myrtle Beach.

I'm a guy. Obviously, I've never given birth. Not sure where I heard it, but it's been described as taking your lower lip and pulling it up over your head. If I was Katie, I'd tell Tom to pound sand. The guy is a squirrel.

Today's science break. Here's another even more geeky one.

This asshole oughta have a bowl of Ebola chowder.

Seeya Tom. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Today's "You have got to be kidding me" link.

Here's one thing I don't ever see myself having done. Ever. I only shave two or three time a week, there ain't no way I'm gonna do that.

I haven't made it through the whole site, but it's been very interesting so far.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with Tom Delay on this one.

April is here and we are expected to get showers on and off for the next few days. Since our county just declared an outside burn ban......I'd say we need the rain.

I'd like it to be nice since I am off this weekend for our 23rd anniversary and also have a fishing trip planned.....maybe we can sneak in a few outdoor activities between the raindrops.

Our remodel at the store I work at is over a month behind schedule which puts it's completion time right at the end of the year. From what I understand, it would almost been cheaper to build a new building.

Whatev, they have stuff all tore up and all our customers are bitching. Only 8 or 9 months? Yikes.

We are gonna have ourselves a small shopping spree at Sam's Club this weekend from some of our tax return money. Not sure what I am going to buy, maybe some clothes or something. I'd like to buy a laptop, but my wife would kill me if I did that:-) Then I'd never get to see anniversary #24...........

Reason # 9 bazillion to quit using IE6.

Saw this in our morning paper............

Book: First Lady sneaks smokes
By MEREDITH B. MAZZOTTA
For the Daily Record/Sunday News

At bottom: · TIPS
Apr 5, 2006 — First Lady Laura Bush exudes poise, politeness and the occasional stream of cigarette smoke.

Although she officially quit the habit ten years ago, Bush still sneaks a smoke now and again from friends and White House aides, according to a new biography on her life in bookstores Tuesday: "Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady" by Ronald Kessler.

But Jack Hayes, a member of the board the York chapter of the American Cancer Society, said Bush's actions are "dumb."

"There are 4,000 chemicals in one cigarette and when she smokes that cigarette she harms not only herself but everyone around her that isn't smoking," he said.

Hayes, 71, smoked a pack a day for 36 years, then stopped "cold turkey" after learning he had cancer of the larynx. Too scared to ever pick up another cigarette, Hayes found comfort in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

In 1994, Hayes' larynx was removed and he now breathes and speaks through a small hole in his throat.

Bush "is making a bad example to the teenagers," Hayes said. "They think if the First Lady is smoking, I can too and it must be very fashionable. That's what we've got to stop."

Kessler's book describes how the first lady's opinions have "brought budget changes to a range offederal agencies," as well as more personal details such as her smoking lapses and her difficulty in conceiving children, according to the book's publisher, Random House.

A Dover resident, Al Meskunas, has tried to quit smoking and said the first lady's occasional puffs humanize her.

"I think every reformed smoker would like to have one now and then it's just that you don't want the floodgates to open and start smoking all over again," Meskunas said. "I admire anybody who quits, because it's very difficult, very difficult."

Nearly 23 percent of Pennsylvania adults smoke cigarettes. Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States, accounting for approximately one in five deaths, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Carl Kassar has run a treatment program for smokers at Hanover Hospital for the past two and a half years. A reformed smoker, Kassar does not advocate taking occasional drags to his patients.

"I tell them either you smoke or you don't. Leaving that door open still means that you are a smoker, you just don't do it as often."

Kassar said smoking now and then is risky and can lead to a relapse.

"Bush's smoking, despite her high profile, only underscores the insidious nature of nicotine," Kassar said.

Vickie Zeiler, a coordinator of the tobacco education program at York Hospital, agrees. "It's one of those things that she's fortunate that she's been able to keep it to just a few. But for most people, they cannot."

The FDA Web site states that a smoker who makes a serious attempt to stop has a less than 5 percent chance of being tobacco-free a year later. And almost half the smokers who undergo surgery for lung cancer resume smoking.

She "officially quit"? I don't think so. I am damn proud of quitting smoking, sneaking a smoke now and then means you still smoke. I wonder if George still has "officially quit" drinking?.....

Till later..........

No comments: